Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Don't skip breakfast!

I'm pretty much starving when I wake up so I never skip breakfast. Nor should you!
I also love my rice wraps in the morning. So other than my previous recipe for flat crust pizza and rice chips, they're also great for breakfast. Again, I never use them as they're meant to be used: as a wrap. They just fall apart, despite my very careful efforts. So why not use them in different ways?
The wraps crisp up so nicely in the oven, that I thought I'd try them in the fry pan. The nice thing is, you don't need any oil or butter to crisp it up if you're watching those extra calories. Also, at only 130 calories per wrap, this is even better than a couple slices of gluten-free bread and travels well if you're in a rush. Walk, take the bus, or bring it to the office. It stays crisp and holds its shape even en route.
You can fill it with whatever you wish. Since dairy is not friendly to me (and I LOVE my cheese!), I tend to stick to a good melty goat cheese. But, feel free to use whatever cheese you like.

Crispy Breakfast rice wrap
1 Food For Life brown rice wrap
2 medium eggs, scrambled
2 tbsp. shredded cheese
1 slice bacon, crisped and chopped
1 tsp. chives, optional
Salt and pepper to taste

In a non-stick skillet, use a quick spray of cooking spray or oil or butter to lightly coat the pan. On med-high heat, pour eggs into pan and sprinkle with bacon pieces and chives. Turn heat to med-low. Cook until eggs are almost set and flip over to cook on other side for one to two minutes. Spread out grated cheese on your open frozen wrap (no need to thaw first, and lay your eggs on top to cover wrap. Add oil to coat pan (if using) and place wrap in centre of pan. Let warm through for 1 minute then fold in half and press the edge down to create a half-moon. Let crisp up for about 4-5 minutes then flip over and heat the other side. It will crisp up nicely. Remove from heat, cut in half and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with ketchup or salsa. Yum!
Makes one serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment